Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

MISCELLANEOUS

Ukraine made fastest battlefield gain in 2.5 years last week

PARIS, France, Feb 18, 2026 (Net) – Ukraine recaptured 201 square kilometres (78 square miles) from Russia between Wednesday and Sunday last week, taking advantage of a Starlink shutdown for Russian forces, according to an AFP analysis of data from the Institute for the Study of War (ISW).
The recaptured area is almost equivalent to the Russian gains for the entire month of December and is the most land retaken by Kyiv’s forces in such a short period since a June 2023 counter-offensive.
These 201 square kilometres include areas that Kyiv and military analysts say are controlled by Russia (72 square kilometres), as well as those claimed by Moscow’s army (129 square kilometres).
“These Ukrainian counterattacks are likely leveraging the recent block on Russian forces’ access to Star-link, which Russian milbloggers (military bloggers) have claimed is causing communications and com-mand and control issues on the battlefield,” the ISW, which collaborates with the Critical Threats Pro-ject, another US think-tank, stated.
On February 5, military observers noted disruption of the Starlink antennas used by Moscow on the front lines, following announcements by Elon Musk of “measures” to end the Kremlin’s use of this tech-nology.
Kyiv claimed that Russian drones were using them, in particular, to circumvent electronic jamming sys-tems and strike their targets with precision.
Without the use of Starlink, Russian forces only advanced on February 9, with Kyiv gaining ground on the other days.
The recaptured land is concentrated mainly around 80 kilometres east of the city of Zaporizhzhia, in an area where Russian troops have made significant progress since the summer of 2025.
Moscow controlled 19.5 percent of Ukrainian territory, either fully or partially, in mid-February, com-pared with 18.6 percent a year earlier.
Approximately 7 percent — Crimea and part of the Donbas — was already under Russian control before the invasion launched in February 2022.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

You May Also Like

FRONTPAGE

Staff Reporter: British Prime Minister Keir Starmer has said he looks forward to working closely with Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman to strengthen their...

FRONTPAGE

Staff Reporter: Road Transport and Bridges Minister Sheikh Rabiul Alam said on Thursday that money collected from transport operators on the roads through mutual...

FRONTPAGE

Staff Reporter: Education Minister ANM Ehsanul Haque Milon on Thursday said that instructions have been given to the authorities concerned to ensure the preparation...

FRONTPAGE

Staff Reporter: The government has formed a Cabinet Committee to launch a pilot project aimed at supporting low-income and marginalised people. Finance Minister Amir...

Copyright © 2023 The Good Morning. All Rights Reserved.
Editor and Publisher: Enayet Hossain Khan
70, Pioneer Road, Kakrail, Dhaka- 1000, Bangladesh.
Phone: +88-01711424112, +88-01847255828
Email: dailygoodmorning@yahoo.com, thegoodmorningbd@gmail.com
Designed & Maintained By TECHIENET SOFTWARE ltd.