Sylhet: The Election Commission (EC) on Wednesday cancelled the candidacy of a general ward coun-cillor for staging an armed showdown in front of an opponent ahead of the upcoming Sylhet City Cor-poration (SCC) election slated for June 21.
EC Secretary Md Jahangir Alam confirmed the matter to journalists.
Earlier on June 12, a media release signed by the EC’s Public Relations Officer Shariful Alam said the allegations of intimidation to people including an opponent contender and staging showdown with arms were found against Aftab Hossain Khan, a ward councillor under ward 7 in the SCC election.
The release also said that the opponent candidate Sayeed Mohammad Abdullah lodged a complaint in writing to the returning officer concerned seeking security of him and family in this connection later.
The returning officer found authenticity of the allegation of the showdown on the basis of the allegation and submitted an investigation report to the authorities concerned, according to the release.
After hearing the matter on Wednesday, the EC cancelled the candidacy of Aftab Khan.
Earlier on June 6, candidate Aftab, also president of city unit Swechasebak League, and his supporters went in front of the house of another candidate Sayeed in Subidbazar Dighi par area.
They staged a showdown with guns and intimated the candidate. A video clip containing the incident went viral on social media shortly.
Police on last Saturday arrested three people who staged a showdown with arms.
The arrestees are Atikur Rahman, 42, Juber Ahmed, 38, and Nuruzzaman, 34.
They are the supporters of councillor candidate Aftab Ahmed from the ward No.7 in the SCC election.