Monday, Nov 19th

Last update02:40:54 AM GMT

You are here::

Oikyafront finally gets permission for Sylhet rally

E-mail Print PDF

A Correspondent

Sylhet: Jatiya Oikyafront has finally got permission for holding its rescheduled public rally at the city's Regis-try Field on Wednesday.
"Oikyafront has been given permission for its rally," Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) Commissioner Golam Kibria told UNB on Sunday evening.
Sylhet district unit BNP general secretary Ali Ahmad said they got permission, and they are now taking preparations for holding the rally.
He said Oikyafront leaders will offer fateha at the shrines of Hazrat Shahjalal (R) and Shah Paran (R) and at the grave of General MAG Osmani, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces during the War of Liberation, in Sylhet on October 24, and then hold the rally.
Earlier in the day, Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader at a program in the capital said, police gave Oikyafront permission, but its leaders are unnecessarily staging a drama over it as they did not get official letter in this regard.
He also said the Prime Minister instructed them so that everyone can hold rallies without ant restriction.
On Friday, Jatiya Oikyafront leaders at a meeting in the capital deferred its maiden public rally in Sylhet to October 24 as it was denied permission to hold the program on October 23.
On October 13, BNP together with Dr Kama Hossain-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya, JSD and Nagorik Oikya launched the Jatiy Oikyafront to press for their seven-point demand, including holding the next polls under a non-party administration.